Language Training: Spouse or Partner Program
Global LT's programs are appropriate for the trailing spouse or partner. The international assignee or working spouse/partner may need to focus more on business language; whereas a training curriculum for a non-working trailing spouse/partner may be customized with a concentration on day-to-day life, in order to help in the assimilation process.
Many times, language training programs often extend over the course of several months to a year, and the tutor serves as ongoing support to the family for the duration of the training.
Global LT recommends our standard 100-hour program for the spouse or partner of a relocating employee. After 100-hours of instruction, the student should be able to perform most of the following functions:
- Use greetings, salutations and expressions of courtesy in social and professional situations.
- Understand and respond to requests for individual and family biographical information: names, relationships, nationalities and occupations.
- Utilize numbers to understand prices, dates, times and telephone numbers.
- Ask and tell the time of day and express dates: days of the week, months and seasons.
- Use simple phrases to accomplish everyday activities: ask directions, make phone calls, purchase postage, buy groceries and clothing, order food in a restaurant and exchange currency.
- Explain basic symptoms to a doctor using rehearsed words and expressions.
- Ask and answer simple questions relating to personal experience: hobbies, homes, school, weather, etc.
- Entertain foreign visitors, order food, and discuss cultural differences.
Questions, comments, feedback, or suggestions? We would love to hear from you.